Monday, July 25, 2011

Chinglish ****


(Always click on the title to see the complete review!)

David Henry Hwang's hilarious new play, now in a sold-out run at Chicago's Goodman Theatre, is coming to New York this Fall. Because of its enthusiastic reception in Chicago, it will open on Broadway instead of at the Public Theater as originally planned. Don't miss it! Ostensibly about the perils of mistranslation while doing business in China, it slyly raises issues of cultural differences and universal human folly. It has satirical bite and knee-slapping humor. The cast is superb: Jennifer Lim, Stephen Pucci, James Waterston and Larry Zhang all create vivid characters. Leigh Silverman's direction is exemplary, filled with grace notes. David Korins' evocative sets revolve amazingly and Anita Yavich's costumes are just right. In short, it was one of my most enjoyable nights in a theater this year. Running time: 2 hours including intermission.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, it pains me to say this, but for me this show is a total mess. Not funny, not smart, not worth while staying for the 2nd act. How could we have seen the same show?
Judy

Gotham Playgoer said...

I am shocked that you found it a mess. I hope they didn't screw it up en route from Chicago.

linda said...

Bob, I agree with the above comment. While it might have been enjoyable in Chicago I found this staging to be harsh, shrill, difficult to listen to, and like your other commenter I did not stay for the second act.